Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Religion in Schools

Growing up in the South, I've been surrounded by the Christian religion. Regardless of what my beliefs were or now are, I've been a firm believer letting others believe what they want to believe and not to push my religious or lack there of views on them.

Now, I believe that if a public school puts up religious holiday decorations up they should follow one rule and one rule only: Either put up decorations for all religious holidays or none at all. Unfortunately, my Alma Mater doesn't quite feel the same.

When I first heard about this story and that the superintendent asked her to take it down, I thought it would be over like that. However, many Christians in the area took offense to this and saw it as an attack on religion instead of being tolerant to other's religious view. Which is what it is.

“We do live in the Bible Belt,” Counselor Kay Williams said. “One thing that really disturbed most of [the supporters] was we hear about things like this all the time in other parts of the country. But, this is kind of a first for the Bible Belt, here in Arkansas. I think the people realized [this issue] is here and we better take a stand. They took a stand because of their beliefs and how they felt about this.”

Taking a stand on tolerance? Really? At least, Greene Co. Tech Superintendent Jerry Noble didn't want to make those who already feel singled out due to their different beliefs, like even more of outcasts. Oh, wait...

“I think it’s due to the fact that most of us are Christians and this is a Christian community,” Noble said “We just decided if we are going to offend someone, we would rather not offend those who have Christian beliefs. The majority of people wanted us to take a stand and that’s what we’re doing.”

This is a good lesson for kids. "If you're going to offend someone, offend the minority." Because offending minorities hasn't back lashed anyone at all in the past.

If I worked in a public school around here, and I posted a sign telling students they can be good without god. There would be a petition for my firing or stepping down. I wonder if Superintendent Noble would stand up for me in that situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment